As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW)
Game & Watch
Re:Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) 11 Years, 7 Months ago
@Void, whoa - great idea
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
GlitchedOut is so impressed he is gonna try that three times today!!!

as soon as i get the time, will try this for sure. cheers Void.

also the triple variation of two tweaks and original sound MD kits is completely intriguing..
cheers for the adventurous share, S.B.
Hammer Bro
My two p for using the Trigger In system that Void very nicely explained is: careful with that one as if you overdo it, the machine will become unresponsive. Maybe not with sparse clicks, but if you're receiving clicks from some spikey external oscillator at a high rate, it will crash. I had managed to freeze my MD like that, it needed a reboot, and even after the reboot, there were about 5 seconds that it was trying to find the clock (quite literally, there would be no tempo indication on the screen).

But hey, breaking an Elektron machine here and there out of some wild experimentation, is a fun thing to do. All I wanna do now is trigger the MD with a double stroke roll so fast that it'll make it freeze.
Game & Watch
yep, this is going to be so awesome, like some kind of bizarre, customisable, re-routable retrig ...

and then, to do the same kind of bizarre creative retrig using input B and routing to another trig machine, then using a Ctrol-8P to adjust the Pitch parameter of the two different sample basis of the custom retrig signals going to the A and B Inputs ....

what a way to find new vibes, rhythms, sounds, mixes...
MK7
Killer Beez
great ideas!
AZ9
Cappy
Bookmarked thread...Thanx
Chain Chomp
hah, never would have thought to come up with a fresh & fancy trick for the MD

the only sample i've tried this with is a 3 32th note click thing.. but it could work with basically anything, especially more intricate click patterns, right? I really like that it misses to trigger sometimes or changes the volume a little, a little randomness in the sequencer..
King Koopa
For those who have the MnM I have a small enhancement to void' s excellent trigger trick:

Connections:

-MnM out (say output cd or ef or what suits you) to Md in

Setup:

-On the Mnm, setup a simple sinewave and trigger a note. Make sure the track' s audio output is sent to the md.

-Set the dec parameter on the amp page on max so the note keeps playing forever. You should have a continously palying sine wave now.

-Set the volume parameter on the amp page to 0 to obtain silence

-Set an lfo to exponential falling, free running. Destination: amp volume

lfo tempo: 8x
lfo speed: 48

With this setting the lfo gives short "bursts" of audio which are sent to the md and trigger the track you want.

The combination of 8x24 gives you 3 hits per bar and messing around with the mult and speed settings of the lfo gives practically any rhythm you want.

Further directions of experimentation:

Arp:

-Don't use the lfo on the mnm but play a simple note with short hold/decay settings on normal volume. This time the lfo does not provide the volume bursts. Instead the arp is used for triggering notes...

MD trig pos:

-Assume that on the md you use the incoming audio for triggering track 9. On the setup page, dial in a trig pos for track 10. Now track 10 is also triggered.

-Put any machine you like on track 10 but make sure the machine has a long decay.

-put the volume parameter on 127

Now dive into the lfo of track 10:

-trig mode
-wave shape2: square wave (the one which starts with down and ends with up) or any waveform that suits you needs.

-Speed and depth to taste
-destination: volume

With this setting track 10 is triggered by track nine. since the lfo on track 10 is set to trig mode, the lfo starts it's cycle once the machine is triggered. By using the lfo on the volume it starts with silence until the lfo flips and set the volume to 127, creating a swing effect.

By carefully selecting the machines on track 9 and 10, a whole new combo' s of sounds can be created while they are both triggered by an external signal...

M.
This thread is so awesome I almost fainted Fantastic suggestions, didn't realize until now I'm nowhere as deep into the MD (and MnM) as I thought I was, this will be a fun weekend of experiments for sure Thanx again community!
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
This thread just keeps getting better and better. Thanks everyone!

I bought a short cable for connecting output to input on the MD that has been moldering in my headphones case for awhile. Now Void has given me *such* a good reason to take it out again
Go to top Post Reply